add google analytics on your idea marketplace
All Our Ideas provides rich analytics about the results of your idea marketplace and now we offer tracking of your traffic through Google Analytics. This will allow you to learn more about who is visiting your idea marketplace or widget.
Full instructions for how to install Google Analytics in your idea marketplace are below.To start tracking with Google Analytics
- Create a new google analytics account by clicking on “ + Add new account”.
- Fill in the information they request and agree to their terms of service. When asked for your url, you should use the full url of your idea marketplace (e.g., http://www.allourideas.org/studentgovernment).
- Once you have given all of the requested information, you will see tracking code (on the same page it asks some question about what kind of site you are tracking, but just stick with the default values). The tracking code will look something like this:
var _gaq = _gaq || ;
ga.src = (‘https:’ == document.location.protocol ? ‘https://ssl’ : ‘http://www’) + ‘.google-analytics.com/ga.js’;
var s = document.getElementsByTagName(‘script’); s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s);
- Copy the account ID. It will look something like this: “UA-17893386-1” but of course your numbers will be different.
- Click “Save and finish”. Now Google Analytics is ready to receive data, but you still need to give that account ID to allourdeas.
- Go to the admin page for your idea marketplace (e.g., http://www.allourideas.org/[your_idea_marketplace]/admin)
- Scroll down the page until you see “Google Analytics code” and enter your account id in that field.
- Click save. You should see a message from allourideas.org saying “Question settings saved successfully!”
- Now wait a few hours. Seriously, it can take a while before Google Analytics receives and displays data from your idea marketplace. Google Analytics may even say “Tracking Status Unknown” for a few hours. This is not a problem with www.allourideas.org; Google Analytics is just slow. Given this lag time, it is best to add Google Analytics well before you plan to launch your idea marketplace.
- Log back in to Google Analytics and see information about who is visiting your idea marketplace.
Good luck and happy tracking. If you figure out any cool Google Analytics tricks, please let me know.
Here are answers to a few questions you might have. If you have any more questions, please post them below.
- Yes, Google Analytics will work if you host your idea marketplace on our site or use the widget to host it on your site. It even work if you have multiple widgets in which case all the traffic is aggregated in one report.
- If you are not receiving any data and you have waited 24 hours, I suggest checking the Google Analytics help: http://www.google.com/support/analytics/?hl=en
- If you had trouble finding your account ID, here’s more about the Google Analytics account ID system.
- allourideas posted this